Friday, May 17, 2013

Fun, Sun, and the Village Bicycle

In my previous post, I outlined a plan for a hiking/BBQ outing at Santa Teresa County Park.  My family and I were able to have a little fun under the sun last Sunday afternoon.  Great fun was had all around.

One of my bros wanted to bike up the Hidden Springs Trail, but it proved too steep for normal people.
Sooo....
...everyone had a turn.  =P

A not too inviting pond along the Hidden Valley Trail.

After turning right, we were greeted by more hill to climb.

As we near Coyote Peak along the Coyote Peak Trail, we caught glimpses of the spectacular view awaiting us at the top.



At the peak, there are several nicely maintained benches where you can sit and enjoy the view.  It took us about an hour to get up there in 80+ degree weather, but it was all worth it.  My picture taking skills just doesn't do it justice.

One of the benches at the left fork on the loop at the peak.

Along the path towards the main vista point

The view.  I can't do it justice, but I promise you it's absolutely amazing.

I love taking pictures of park benches...

At this point, everyone was winded from taking turns on the, er, village bike, and it was getting pretty close to dinner time, so we all decided to hike back on the same trail we started out on instead of making a loop by connecting to the Rocky Ridge Trail (highly recommended in mid- to late-spring.

Flowers along the trail that I did not notice on the way up.

The home stretch.

Once we got back to the picnic area, the relaxation begins.

The setup

The condiments

Water spout near the picnic tables, which had extra water balloons for us to play with.

One of two types of special sausages

Grillin' the veggies.  I sprinkled some seasoning salt for some flavor.  I forgot to toss the veggies in olive oil and was worrying over how they would turn out, but in the end, it all worked out.

After lighting the second half of the grill, there was some real man power involved to lower the grill.

mmm....Custom hot dogs!

 As we finished our meal, we enjoyed the beautiful sunset.  It was truly a peaceful end to an awesome day.





No comments:

Post a Comment